Thursday, December 4, 2014

Self publishing a book / pros and cons

I am looking forward to have my 600+ page book printed in both soft cover and hard cover and I definitely made a good move by having just one copy printed first before I committed to a major printing. My book took me almost a full year to write and when I get it printed out, it has to look good before I commit to more copies.

I had a conversation with an executive of a book publishing company yesterday and he told me that self publishing is now a viable option to getting your work published bypassing all the things a writer had to do in the past to publish their work. On top of this there are many different packages for a great range of prices to get your book added to book web sites and then marketed. None of these decisions are easy ones, and for me I will make the decision to market my book next year after names are changed.

Writing my book this year has been very interesting and challenging and I have enjoyed most of the process but remembering all the bad things and bad people I have had to endure in my career in IT was not easy and I realized in a very big way that I have paid more than my share of dues in my chosen field.

Next year I will have to do a lot of research of all the companies that self publish books out there, to make sure that I get the best deal available.

No comments: